Practice stop coverage provided by: Sharieka Breeden
Coach Jim Gencarelli spent four years as the junior varsity coach for Mahopac. Now he is stepping up as the head coach for the Indians who were 12-3-1 last season.
“We graduated six players. I am familiar with these guys and they are familiar with me,” Gencarellisaid. “There a few good players that I am looking at to step up and rise to the occasion.”
This upcoming season Gencarelli’s plans to keep the team focused as they work to repeat last season’s success.
“I think we are looking good and I am excited to start,” Gencarelli said. ” We are going to try to take it one game at a time. Kids can get ahead of their selves looking at the schedule. We want to make it back to sectionals.”
• Key loss: Joseph Iraola who finished his senior season with 19 goals and five assists. Iraola is playing at American International college now.
• Key returners: Jared Milian (senior center midfielder), Conor Butler (senior center midfielder) and Mike Bernardi (junior goalie; pictured above).
• The Indians will count on Jesse Lichtman (senior, defense), Ray Arcieri (junior, defense), Mike Bernardi and Matt Fariselli (senior midfielder) to help lead the team with strong defensive play.
• After an overtime loss to North Rockland last season in a Section 1 Class AA semifinal the team’s focus will be to complete the season with another tournament appearance.
• Preseason Preparation: The Indians spent their summer playing in the Lakeland summer league where they competed against Byram Hills in the championship.
• New league competition: With powerhouses Arlington and John Jay EF, Mahopac looks forward to rising to the occasion during the regular season. Coach Gencarelli said facing Arlington will be a good determiner of where the team stands.
• Season opener: Mahopac will kick the season off against Brewster on September 10th.